If you are highly sensitive to other peoples emotions and energy, you may want to add this to your list of self-care.
For as long as I can remember, I have always been sensitive to others emotions and energy, as well as, sounds, smells, tones, lights, and even facial expressions can overwhelm me. I am most definitely an Empath.
One thing that I do to help relax my mind when feeling over stimulated and unable to relax is shower in the dark. Yes, in the dark.
If I feel very overwhelmed and over stimulated, even the slightest bit of light can keep me from being able to relax. If you can relate, you know how terrible it feels to have tense muscles all the time. And that is just one of the symptoms.
So if you’re like me, an Empath, try taking a hot shower in the dark.
- Turn off the lights. If you have a hall light or a diffuser that omits light that isn’t too much for you, go ahead and turn it on.
- Start the shower! By the time you are prepped, your shower will be hot and ready.
- Get your towels, cloths, clothes, blue-tooth speaker (water-proof preferred), lotion, essential oils, diffuser, and a bath bomb (for a long bath afterwards).
- If you like to listen to calming and relaxing music, you can either turn it on before your shower or when you are filling up the tub for that hot bath.
- Keep a towel next to the tub to dry your hands in case you need to change the volume or music. Do not answer calls, emails, or texts. This is YOUR time.
- Take your shower! Take as long as you want. Wash the day and stimuli away with each sudsy stroke. This is also the time to shave. Do not wait until your bath to shave. Yikes. You don’t want to soak in what you just washed and shaved off, do you?
- If you are wanting to take a bath after your dark shower, I recommend waiting to fill the tub until your shower is completely over. Time to turn the shower off.
- As your tub is filling with water, take this time to open up your bath bomb or essential oils.
- Rest your head, inhale the scents around you, breathe and listen to the music/sounds you have playing.
- When you are done, you know what to do.
I hope you are able to find relief with this dark shower/bath regimen. I find it to be the most relaxing thing I do. Even being a wife and mother of 4 children, I am able to find time to do this a minimum of once a week and usually it isn’t until 10pm.
Take time for yourself. Self-care is so important.
Let us know what ways you are able to relax. Do you shower in the dark?