I have been inspired by my favorite book and movie to write for 40 days about how we can prepare our gardens to blossom; and not just blossom but thrive; and not alone, but together.
If you have read “The Shack” or watched the movie, I am sure you remember the garden, right? The garden is my absolute favorite part and I think about it very, very often. Sarayu, an embodiment of the Holy Spirit, takes Mack into this wild, beautiful garden that looks to him like a mess with even poisonous plants. He is shown how each plant serves its own purpose and is beautiful in its own way.
The garden is used to demonstrate the complexity of our emotions, as well as the necessity of feeling both pain and happiness. This is what has captivated me so much. I have always struggled with my own emotions and often find myself wondering if I truly feel a certain way or not; that is what Bi-Polar Depression and Depression do to you. You question every thought and feeling you have. Is it you or is it your depression? Is it your high or your low? Due to depression, grief, sadness, anger, and many other emotions, we find ourselves suppressing them so that we do not have to face them. Who wants to feel sad or guilt? Not me!
What we have to realize is that our emotions are worthy of being felt. Our ‘negative’ emotions have such an important role, just like the thorny plants are important to the garden ecosystem. When Sarayu explains that, how the Holy Spirit sees it, it appears as a complicated, fractal, ordered pattern of repeating shapes. So in the same way, when we feel messy, emotions are really not random but come from a pattern of underlying beliefs. Those beliefs can be lies from the enemy. When we understand this, we can better face our bad emotions as well as our good. When God looks at us he sees an overgrown and wild MASTERPIECE; His masterpiece.
Here is a quote from Chapter 9: “Your question presumes that poison is bad, that such creations have no purpose. Many of these so-called bad plants, like this one, contain incredible properties for healing or are necessary for some of the most magnificent wonders when combined with something else. Humans have a great capacity for declaring something good or evil, without truly knowing.”
I don’t know about you but that hit me hard. BOOM! Just right in your face. How often do we declare something good or evil? All the time! And the truth is, we don’t know unless we have prayed about it and received that confirmation from God.
So now that you have the background of why I am writing about Preparing Your Garden, let me explain what our journey will look like:
- Days 1 – 2: I get to further explain the reason for this writing. It is very important for me to do. I am very excited about it and I can not wait to share my transformation with you all and would love to hear how it is going for you during this process as well.
- Days 3 – 6: We prepare our soil. During this time we will use the Gospel of Luke, we will take four days to prepare the soil of our hearts to be able to receive His truth. This is very important and is the first step we must take to go further. Why? Well, the number 4 symbolizes God setting all things in order. -Fun Fact (1)
- Days 7 – 40: (I know, big stretch) This is when we plant and tend our garden.
- Each day we will begin with scripture from Ephesians. – Seed of Truth –
- When we – Plant The Seed – we will be given (1) – seed – from that scripture to plant in our hearts THAT day. We will intentionally direct our thoughts to that verse and morph our thinking and our hearts to see our day and the people in our lives through the “eyes” of that verse.
- We SUBMIT ourselves to that TRUTH and then plant that – seed – deep down within our hearts.
- Next, we WATER THE SEED. We do this by completing the exercise or activity that will help us – PLANT THE SEED – and work out that TRUTH with a full purpose in our lives. Remember, “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves” – James 1:22.
- Now, we BEAR THE FRUIT. During this time, TRUTH for the day will be highlighted. This is the fruit, the blossoming, that should and will come from PLANTING and WATERING the TRUTH in our hearts.
- For all time, we will use the TRUTHS from Ephesians to guide us in our prayers. 1 John 5:14 says, “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.”
As we start this journey together, lets read Ephesians 3:14-19. Before reading scripture we should always take a few moments to prepare our hearts. It is also important that we prepare our hearts for this quest, just like you would prepare a garden before you plant in the spring. Let us ask God to open our hearts to receive all of the seeds of truth that He desires to plant in our hearts during the next 40 days. Lord, we ask that you cause those seeds to grow into healthy roots, mature plants, and then into an abundant, blossoming harvest. We can not be afraid, Beloveds, to ask Him for His help to hear His voice and to give us the grace that we receive anew every single day and that we need to follow in the steps He asks us to take. Fear is from the enemy. The Lord, our Almighty and powerful Father, is going to bring forth a marvelous, perfectly crafted garden of His character in our hearts! Are you ready? Get ready – He is here and a new you is being planted right now! Father, please fill our hearts until we overflow with fullness of you!
Ephesians 3:14-19 – “When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.”
I will be praying for you all and I ask that you pray for me, as well. We need one another. We need the fellowship, community, and uplifting words from each other.
It begins now!
Turning Wounds Into Wisdom,
You Him and Her 💜
Please like and share if you feel led to do so. I need to be able to reach as many people as I can. There are people out there that are lost and may need these words that the Holy Spirit has placed on my heart to share. Your thoughts, questions, and comments are very much appreciated.
Reference for our step by step process: Laurie Aker